Where is Skidmore College Located?
Skidmore College is a private liberal arts institution located in the vibrant town of Saratoga Springs, New York. Known for its interdisciplinary approach to education, the college offers a wide range of courses and extracurricular activities that encourage creative thought and action.
- Saratoga Race Course: One of the oldest horse-racing tracks in the country.
- Saratoga Spa State Park: Ideal for outdoor activities like hiking and picnics.
- Saratoga Performing Arts Center: A venue for top concerts, ballets, and other performances.
- Congress Park: A peaceful park featuring historic fountains and a carousel.
- Saratoga Automobile Museum: For car enthusiasts interested in automotive history.
Is Skidmore College an Ivy League School?
Skidmore is not an Ivy League school. The Ivy League is a group of eight private colleges and universities in the northeastern United States, known for their high academic standards, selective admissions, and prestigious reputation.
The Ivy League schools are:
- Brown University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Dartmouth College
- Harvard University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Princeton University
- Yale University
Admission Requirements for Skidmore College
Skidmore College has a competitive admissions process with a 26% acceptance rate. To boost your likelihood of gaining admission, consider the following:
- Aim for a high school GPA of at least 3.75
- Strive for A- grades or better in your high school courses
- Target an SAT score of 1360 or an ACT score of 31
- Graduate among the top 25% of your high school class
- Obtain strong letters of recommendation from your teachers
- Ensure that the rest of your application is well-rounded and compelling
The typical SAT score for students accepted to Skidmore ranges from 1270 to 1440, while the average ACT score is between 29 and 33. It’s worth noting that a quarter of admitted students score above or below these ranges.
The standard application deadline is January 15, while the early decision deadline is set for November 15. Approximately half of the incoming first-year class is admitted through the early decision route.
Application Process for Skidmore College
For admission to Skidmore College, you have the following options:
- Fill out either the Common Application or the Coalition Application online
- Remit a non-refundable application fee of $65
- Ensure that the School Report form and your official high school transcript are submitted within a week of the application’s deadline
- Provide all required application components, such as a current grade report and two recommendation letters
The standard application deadline for Skidmore is January 15, while those opting for early decision must apply by November 15.
Standardized Tests: What Tests Are Required for Skidmore College
Skidmore College has adopted a test-optional policy since 2016, meaning SAT or ACT scores are not mandatory for admission. Applicants have the option to include these scores if they believe the results better showcase their academic abilities.
The college employs a comprehensive evaluation approach to assess all candidates equally.
If students choose to submit test scores, they can do so by:
- Adding them on the Common Application or Coalition Application
- Sending a screenshot or PDF of the Student Score Report to email@example.com via email
Additionally, students have the opportunity to earn up to 12 credit hours through specialized tests like the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST). These exams must be completed before starting classes at Skidmore.
Scholarships and Financial Aid at Skidmore College
Located in Saratoga Springs, New York, Skidmore College extends financial assistance to nearly half of its student body. The average financial aid package amounts to $54,000, with the typical need-based scholarship or grant providing $50,000. The average need-based loan stands at $2,750.
Most financial aid is allocated based on verified need and typically consists of a grant, a work-study opportunity on campus, and a loan component.
As of Fall 2020:
- 54% of incoming first-year students were awarded need-based financial aid.
- The average need-based financial aid package for these first-year students was $45,600.
To apply for financial aid, the following steps are required:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available starting October 1st.
- Submit the CSS Profile.
Prospective students can utilize Skidmore’s Net Price Calculator to gauge their potential eligibility for need-based financial aid.
Top Undergraduate Programs at Skidmore College
Most Popular Majors at Skidmore College:
- Political Science and Government
- Highest-Ranked Major:
- General Business/Commerce
- Other Top-Ranked Majors:
- Business, Management & Marketing
- Noteworthy Points:
- Focus and popularity of the majors
- Promising salary outcomes for graduates